Yes, I'm singing. Might be doing a crazy little dance too. It's how we stay sane around here. Sane might be a strong word to use. I just finished grades for the third six weeks and it makes me wonder what the point is of all this? They make us shut down for a week to review for the ACP because it's 15% of their semester average, yet they can't pass the easiest 6 weeks of the entire year simply because they can't walk a paper from their seat to the tray to turn in work they completed during class. Effort based grading is a load of shit. If I graded them on effort, guess how many would pass? Effort based grading means the teacher puts forth....too much effort to be quantified to somehow get a percentage of them interested enough to give a damn. Effort my ass. That may not be a good sentence, it is substantial.
We don't administer our own ACPs, we might help our kids cheat. Why? To keep our jobs and our money. So all these regulations, I had to cover up everything in my room, even my pictures on the bulletin board....but I walk into a room that has Spanish posters up. Really? He had no seating chart...nothing. The kids didn't have IDs, so they started the test late, so I had to stay late so they could do the oral part without the kids who were ready getting an advantage hearing it twice....special. Like I'm over it. Teachers like that should have something said to them before I ever get accused of not caring.
On the other hand, I hadn't been called Lil' Mama in a few weeks, so I guess it's good being back at school. It was amazing how many kids show up to take this test but that don't come to class. They have this week to make up their grades. It's cool they talk to me and all, but I hate knowing what decisions they are making that are affecting their work and their lives. Because it's different here. West Dallas isn't where they live, it's their way of life. They don't know how to leave it.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment