Friday, April 24, 2009

Why I don't eat liver

I use Owen's Sausage at least once a month for pig parts. They give them away for free to teachers. It's wonderful. We had a TAKS carnival today, and my station was 10A and 10B and I incorporated a little 4B and 4C too. So I had some raw pig on display to help.

Last night, we were staying late to put all the stations together. So I busted out my pig parts and was trying out something new. I have never personally tried this, so I wanted to make sure it worked before having the kids do it. I had lungs, livers, and hearts this time. Bought a hand pump to blow up the lungs. Well, one set of lungs was really a pluck.....the lungs, heart, and trachea all attached. You know how you know something but it doesn't click until too late? Yeah. Well, I attach the tubing and we get a bug ole pump and let it rip.....EEEEAAAAEEAAAAWWWWW. Pigs scream. Pigs scream by inhaling. The vocal cords are in the trach. We about died! It was hilarious. It sounded like we were butchering the pig. Security is across the hall and they came in because they thought something was wrong. So we cut off the trachea and just used the lungs. But it worked beautifully.

And today went well. The organs started cooking a little being outside and all, even though I kept bathing them. Livers are bloody. They get rid of your red blood cells, so it makes sense. But the smell. Bloody bacon. And they get darker and darker. When I had to pick them up to throw them away it was just disgusting.

So yay for raw animals. It was fun. And now I have a handy pump for next year. But I never liked liver and it's not one I will ever make myself try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment